This Applesauce Zucchini Bread is coming at you straight from the garden! I’m so happy to finally have success growing my own zucchini.
This is my third season growing it, and I think I finally found the perfect spot for my zucchini plant to thrive with lots of sunlight. We have been harvesting a zucchini every few days, so it was time to do some baking.
The boys and I have been carefully watching for male and female flowers and helping nature out by hand pollinating so we can make sure we have the best zucchini production possible. Gardening has been the perfect way to incorporate plant science into our homeschool days.
This Applesauce Zucchini Bread recipe is slightly adapted to have less sugar and oil than my old favorite zucchini bread recipe. I like that this one isn’t overly sweet.
I didn’t have the cinnamon on hand that my old recipe calls for, so I subbed apple pie spice, and it tasted delicious – so either one would be just fine.
I also used three eggs in this recipe, which came straight from our backyard chickens. We sure are enjoying that faux farm life around here lately.
We’ve always wanted a little more land to try our hand at gardening and raising chickens but decided to just make it work with the little lot we have.
Lesson learned! You don’t have to wait until everything is just so to try something new. Learn as you go, make adjustments as needed, and let go of picture-perfect expectations.
So if you have a little extra zucchini and want a delicious (not too sweet) loaf of bread, try this Applesauce Zucchini Bread recipe! It makes four mini loaves, so it’s perfect for freezing or sharing with a neighbor.
My boys all loved it, though one child did add that while it was good, it wasn’t as good as my banana bread. Too bad we don’t have a banana tree in the backyard!Print
This Applesauce Zucchini Bread is perfectly moist and not too sweet. A wonderfully delicious way to use up extra zucchini!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 medium zucchinis (grated and blotted*), about 2 cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray four mini loaf pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together (by hand) sugar, eggs, oil, and applesauce until creamy. Add vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, apple pie spice (or cinnamon), and allspice.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined. Fold in grated zucchini until evenly combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into each loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
*After the zucchini has been grated, use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to squeeze some of the moisture out.
- Serving Size: 1 Mini Loaf
- Calories: 961
- Sugar: 80g
- Sodium: 964mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 26g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 154g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 140mg