Just in time for your Easter celebration, I’m sharing these delicious Puff Pastry Wrapped Asparagus Bundles. Along with the asparagus, tucked inside these puff pastry wrapped bundles are salty prosciutto and cheese. And why not add a sprinkle of Everything But the Bagel Seasoning? They are the perfect way to add a little fancy to your Easter menu plan.
These are pretty straightforward to put together – hardly a recipe and more of an idea really. Just thaw out a sheet of puff pastry to that it is still quite cold, but pliable. Cut it into nine squares and lay them out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for easy cleanup. Lay half a slice of cheese diagonally on each square. You can use any mild cheese that melts nicely – I used muenster, but you could also use baby swiss or gruyere.
Wrap a bundle of three trimmed asparagus in a piece of prosciutto, and then bring the opposite corners of the puff pastry together and secure them with a toothpick. Brush the outside of the puff pastry with an egg wash, sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel Seasoning and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
Remove the toothpicks, and serve the bundles warm as an appetizer, or as a side for an Easter brunch. Be careful not
How to Buy Asparagus
When you are shopping for asparagus, try and find stalks that are on the thicker side. It gives the puff pastry more time to cook through without overcooking the asparagus. You’ll know the asparagus is fresh if the tips are tightly closed.Print
- 1–2 bunches of fresh asparagus (you’ll need 27 stalks)
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 3 slices of prosciutto, cut into thirds
- 3 slices of cheese (baby swiss, muenster, or gruyere), cut into thirds
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning (sea salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, and onion)*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a sheet of puff pastry out to thaw. In the meantime, wash, dry and trim 27 asparagus stalks (three per bundle).
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into nine equal squares and lay them on the prepared baking sheet. Place a strip of cheese on the puff pastry diagonally.
- Wrap the prosciutto around three stalks of asparagus and place them on top of the cheese strip and puff pastry. Bring the two opposite corners of the puff pastry around the bundle and secure with a toothpick.
- In a small bowl, whisk one egg and one tablespoon of milk together. Brush the egg wash on top of each puff pastry bundle and sprinkle a bit of Everything But the Bagel Seasoning if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown and the asparagus is fork tender.
*This is found at Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have any, these would still taste great without it!
- Serving Size: 1 Bundle
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 376mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 36mg