Do you ever think of nuts as having their own personalities? Like the peanut for example, such an honest and friendly little nut. The nut for the common man. The nut of buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks and peanut butter and jelly.
Then the almond would represent the granola head, tree hugging type. Raw, healthy, not too expensive, full of protein.
Pecans would be cozy, comforting, down home kind of nuts. Maybe they have a southern accent?
Macadamias, boasting 20 whole calories per individual nut, are indulgent, live lift to the fullest, kind of a party animal I think.
And then there’s the pistachio. Despite it’s wrinkled crusty appearance, it remains slightly sophisticated, maybe a bit of an elitist. You won’t find this nut in any old common jar of mixed nuts, instead it must be sought after on its own. Perhaps its the uniqueness of its natural green color that sets it apart. Maybe its the fact that it has its own ice cream flavor.
Maybe you are starting to think I’m a little bit nutty myself?
These cookies were inspired by Savory Simple’s Butterfinger Shortbread Cookies, which are amazing!
I wanted to incorporate pistachios, and thought the saltiness paired well with sweet, creamy white chocolate. I love these cookies alongside my Sleepytime tea just before bed.
I also love that they have very few ingredients, and roll out well without chilling the dough. I added a tiny bit of butter flavoring, as if 2 sticks of butter in 18 cookies is not buttery enough! This is optional.Print
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring (optional)
- 1 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed, and then add butter extract. Gradually add flour on low speed until just combined.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out circles of dough and place on a Silpat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, watching for the edges of the cookies to start to brown.
- Cool cookies on a cooking rack.
- Melt wafters according to directions on the package.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of melted white chocolate onto the top of each cookie spreading it to the edge.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios while the white chocolate is still melty. Allow the white chocolate to set at room temperature before stacking cookies to store.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Sodium: 97mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 29mg