My mom and dad hosted Thanksgiving this year, but the rest of my family brought the rolls, side dishes, desserts, and appetizers to share. My cousin Kyle and his wife Sarah, who are actually visiting from Uganda, Africa, brought a hot spinach and artichoke dip that was out of this world amazing. As we all huddled around the appetizer table, taking turns spooning stringy bits of the cheesy hot dip onto our pita chips, I found myself kind of wishing I could just eat the whole thing.
But that would not be socially acceptable, of course. Everyone else was enjoying it as much as me. Anyone who was in earshot was pulled over to the table.
Come over here! You’ve GOT to try this dip!
So naturally I only ate my fair share of the dip, but immediately started thinking about how I could take these flavors and turn them into something socially acceptable to eat as a whole meal. Remembering how much I loved adding cheese tortellini to this tomato basil soup, Spinach and Artichoke Soup with Cheese Tortellini totally fit the bill. Same flavors I loved in the dip, but in the form of a creamy bowl of soup!
It’s flavored with garlic, artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and a little cayenne pepper for some heat. Some nice toasty slices of french bread for dipping, and you are good to go!Print
A creamy soup flavored with garlic, artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and a little cayenne pepper for some heat.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of canned artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like it
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute artichoke hearts for 3-4 minutes over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over garlic and artichoke hearts, and saute for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour milk, chicken broth, and cream cheese into the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Stirring frequently, allow the soup to gently boil until it is slightly thickened and the cream cheese has melted.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- While the soup is still gently boiling, add cheese tortellini and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 1061mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 70mg