Happy Monday to you all. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling the need for a bit of a reset after the weekend. We had a fun time hosting a little get together yesterday and of course had ALL THE SNACKS, including fried ravioli and my brownie cookie ice cream sandwiches. And then on top of that, Little Boy #3 finally stayed in his bed all night for the second night in a row for which he was promised a box of donuts to share with his family. So now everyone is at school and the leftover donuts are seriously staring me down as I type. So far I have left them alone even though I feel my resolve starting to fade, but I’m going to stay strong and focus on telling you about this oatmeal!
So the plan for today is more along the healthful lines of this cheerful little Triple Berry Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl. Have you ever seen purple oatmeal? Is it a thing, or did I just make it up? I’m sure it’s been done before, but it is new to me and I just thought it was too pretty not to share, even if it’s definitely not rocket science.
Here’s how it came about: Especially in the off season, I like to buy big bags of frozen berries from Costco (they have one with organic blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries) for smoothies and cobblers, and even just to thaw out add to my yogurt. Last week I decided to try adding some to my oatmeal while it was cooking. The berries broke down, and turned the oatmeal bright purple! They added a great tang and a bit of sweetness, along with some maple syrup and I decided not to stop there but to swirl in some vanilla yogurt and sprinkle on my very favorite hazelnuts.
I ate it slowly throughout the morning as I went about my day, not minding it cooling to room temperature at all and loving every bite. Hope you do too!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Oats are cooked with frozen berries and then swirled with vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of crushed hazelnuts. Such a good way to start the day!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (add more for a sweeter oatmeal)
- pinch of salt
- Toppings: Vanilla yogurt, crushed hazelnuts, sliced banana, additional berries
- In a small pot, stir oats, milk, berries, cinnamon, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and salt over medium high heat.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, crush the berries with the back of the spoon and turn the heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 3-5 more minutes or until oats are tender to your preference, stirring occasionally.
- Pour oatmeal in a bowl, and top with vanilla yogurt, nuts, and additional berries if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl (toppings not included)
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 123mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Keywords: triple berry oatmeal breakfast bowl, berry oatmeal, oatmeal, breakfast bowl, healthy