Though it’s not official for a few more weeks, Summer is essentially here! Time for a more laid back schedule with the kids out of school, time for staying up late and sleeping in, time for swimming and running through the sprinklers. Most of all, time for grilling and chilling with the ones you love!
I’ve got some fabulous summertime recipes to share with you this week, the first being my Sweet and Spicy BBQ Baked Beans. The perfect balance of sweet from the the dark brown sugar wrapped around a nice kick from the jalapeño and cayenne pepper. Did I mention the secret ingredient? The crushed pineapple gives these beans a really nice tang. And come on, you can’t have BBQ baked beans without some nice salty, smokey bacon. Perfection!
This recipe starts out on the stovetop and then finishes in the oven. The flavors get the chance to get to know each other while the sauce thickens up too. These are the kind of beans you can dish out onto your plate without worrying that the BBQ sauce will overtake neighboring potato salad and watermelon. No, these beans are so thick and hearty, they stay right where you put them.
My Le Creuset French Oven is the perfect way to cook these beans. It moves from the stovetop to the oven seamlessly. The cast iron maintains heat so efficiently, you can count on the beans to stay nice and hot while serving them at a picnic or potluck. Did you know you can also chill cast iron ovens to keep food cold on a hot summer day? And Le Creuset’s enamel finish makes clean up very easy. Even after browning the bacon in my french oven, I hardly had to scrub.
To kick of the new season, I’ve teamed up with Le Creuset to give you the chance to win your own 5 1/2 quart French Oven from their new Matte Collection, which is stunning! Le Creuset is well known for their high quality, top of the line kitchen products, and I’m so pleased to have the privilege of working with them to bring you this giveaway.
Don’t you love these colors? I’m totally smitten! If you win, you will get to pick which color would be best for your own lovely little kitchen.
To enter the giveaway, please use the Rafflecopter widget below. The giveaway is open until Tuesday, June 10th at 11:59 p.m. MST. The giveaway is only open to U.S. residents. The winner will be chosen randomly and announced on this post. I will notify the winner via the email used to sign into the rafflecopter form (this may be your Facebook email account) and if the winner doesn’t respond in 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. I hope you win!
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 strips center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large (or two smaller) jalapeños, diced finely
- 2 cans (27 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a French oven or other oven safe baking dish, combine onion and bacon and sauté on medium high heat until bacon is crisp and onions are soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add jalapeños and cook 2 more minutes to soften.
- Add pinto beans, ketchup, brown sugar, pineapple, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir over medium heat and bring to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees.
Disclosure: Le Creuset provided me with a 5 1/2 Quart French Oven. All opinions expressed are my own.