My brother married an amazing girl. Not only is she sweet and fun to be with, but she is always introducing me to the next good thing. It might be a cute pair of shoes, a trendy restaurant, the perfect avocado dip, or a do-it-yourself gel nail polish kit from Target. She’s the best!
So of course, tacos with cilantro lime cream was her idea…
What we have here is tender grilled steak, red onions, and queso fresco on a lightly fried white corn tortilla ready and waiting to be topped with cilantro lime cream.
Here’s a tip for making taco night easier. Whenever I grill, I’m always sure to throw on some extra, whether it’s chicken or steak. The key to keeping leftover meat from tasting “leftover” is to slice it thinly the same night it is cooked, put it in a Ziploc, pour in all the drippings from the cutting board or serving platter, and squeeze out all the air from the bag before placing it into the refrigerator. The meat stays much more tender and moist than if you store the leftover meat uncut and dry. I love having tender steak or chicken all sliced and ready to go. It just makes dinner the next night that much easier. To warm up the leftover grilled steak, put it in a saucepan over low heat with all the juices from the Ziploc and let it simmer for a few minutes. Be careful not to let it cook longer than necessary because it will dry out.
This recipe for cilantro lime cream calls for half a cup of sour cream and for half a cup of greek yogurt. You can adjust those proportions according to your own tastes.Print
Tender grilled steak tacos, red onions, queso fresco and cilantro lime cream on a lightly fried white corn tortilla.
Cilantro Lime Cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of a lime
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 2–3 tablespoons canola oil
- Grilled steak, sliced thinly (I used a little over one pound of tri-tip)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- cilantro for garnish
Cilantro Lime Cream
- In a small food processor or blender, pulse together the sour cream, greek yogurt, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, cilantro and lime juice until smooth.
- Start by heating a teaspoon of oil in a small pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place one tortilla in the pan, and lightly fry until the tortilla puffs up a bit. This should take about 30 seconds per side. Place the fried tortilla on a paper towel, and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Layer grilled steak, red onion, queso fresco, and cilantro on each tortilla.
- Drizzle with cilantro lime cream.
- *** If you want to make these over-the-top amazing, try frying two tortillas with 1 tablespoon of queso fresco in between them to use as your taco shell!
Keywords: steak tacos, cilantro lime cream, tacos, fried tortillas