Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We celebrated Easter with lots of family – ham, Butterhorn Rolls, Easter egg hunts, church, attempts at taking pictures of large groups of small children, swimming, and even a piñata! Fun and full… that’s what we are. And thankful too. Thankful for the Hope we have.
So I need to confess to you that I’ve been in a bit of recipe slump. I’ve had no shortage of seemingly great ideas, but when I try to make it really happen it the kitchen, things seem to fall short. I’ve tried chicken wings in the oven, but couldn’t get them crispy. Then I had this brilliant idea for a shepherd’s pie meets sloppy joe casserole…. not so much. I thought some Greek yogurt carrot muffins might be good, but they tasted way too healthy. BOO!
I also made some cashew blondies. I even took the time to make a caramel drizzle for the top, but I poured the hot caramel into my plastic squeeze bottle too soon and it melted right then and there! Oh well, the blondies were too doughy anyway. GAH!
I’d like to take a moment to thank my family for eating it all anyway. Well, except for the mushy chicken wings. Only one person actually thought those were edible. The rest of us chose a bowl of Cheerios for dinner instead. It was one of those nights friends! WAH!
I’m so glad the idea for Southwestern Chicken Taco Pie came along and redeemed me. It’s so simple to put together, and is really a fun twist on your typical taco.
I used a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make this quick and easy. You can make it as spicy as you like – I just used mild salsa so it would be kid friendly, but feel free to substitute whatever your family prefers.Print
With layers of chicken, black beans, corn, cheese, and tortillas, this is a quick and easy, family friendly dinner!
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (I used a rotisserie from the deli)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (or you can turn up the heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 1/2 cups freshly shredded cheese (I used CoJack)
- 4 flour tortillas, medium or soft taco size
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix chicken with salsa, chili powder, cumin, beans, and corn
- Lay your first tortilla down on the bottom of a greased pie dish.
- Scoop one third of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and spread evenly. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat the tortilla, chicken, cheese layers, ending with your fourth tortilla and the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then slice into wedges, top with avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 670
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 1079mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 49g
- Cholesterol: 146mg