Oh my friends, these Raspberry Almond Crumb Bars are exceedingly exceptionally amazingly delicious!
They are a bit hard to describe, because they are neither cookie nor cake.
They might be related to a coffee cake, but are richer, and more dessert like. They are moist, sweet, and full of almond flavor.
Then there’s a swirl of raspberry preserves and a crunchy crumbly crumb topping.
My description is totally falling short here. But trust me, they are wonderful!
And they keep for a good five days in a tightly sealed container. Even cut into bars, these were just as good on day five as they were on day one. Don’t ask me how they even lasted that long. Okay, I may have hidden them from the boys. Not usually one to withhold good things from the people I love, but I just wasn’t convinced they would fully appreciate the beauty here! They have been known to lick the frosting off a perfectly good cupcake and walk away…Print
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed.
- Add eggs, and mix one at a time.
- Add almond extract and mix.
- On low speed, gradually add flour and salt until just incorporated.
- The batter will be very sticky. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Drop six tablespoons of the raspberry preserves evenly over the top of the batter and swirl each one with a butter knife into the batter.
- In a small bowl, add butter, sugar, flour and almonds. Using a pastry cutter, or two forks, cut the butter into the flour, sugar and almonds until you have pea sized clumps. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter and preserves.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes. The edges should but slightly browned.
- Cool completely, and then cut into bars.