These Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies are inspired by those delicious little chocolate covered peanut butter balls that are so popular around Christmas time. I’ve always liked those (what’s not to love?) but I have to say, I love the salty, buttery crunch that Ritz crackers adds here!
These are fun to make, and there’s no baking involved, just a lot of dipping. I really like using a double boiler to melt chocolate for dipping rather than the microwave. It keeps the chocolate melted for as long as you need, without risking your chocolate getting burnt. Nothing ruins your day like burned chocolate!
The peanut butter filling is dreamy on its own, but sandwiched between two Ritz crackers, and the submerged in chocolate, these bad boys are dangerous! I kept mine in the fridge thinking, “out of sight, out of mind” but then I discovered I liked them even better cold.
Not to state the obvious, but a cold glass of milk is a must.
Did I mention I’ve started running? I’m up to 3 miles which, if you know me, is nothing short of a miracle. I’ve always hated running, but am actually started to like it. I feel like a complete TRAITOR.
Anyways, I blame my new found love on these Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies. All their fault. Nothing eases one’s guilt from eating cookies for breakfast like a good run, right?
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
If you love peanut butter and chocolate, these cookies are going to make you so very happy!
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 70 Ritz crackers (about 2 1/2 sleeves)
- 5 cups chocolate chips ( I used half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet)
- 1 teaspoon coconut or vegetable oil
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Using a small cookie dough scoop (about 2 teaspoons), form a ball of the peanut butter filling and place it onto a Ritz cracker, flattening it slightly with your fingers before placing another Ritz on top to make a sandwich. Repeat with the rest of the crackers.
- To set up a double boiler for melting the chocolate, fill a small saucepan with one inch of water and bring it to a simmer. Place a heat-safe glass bowl on top of the saucepan. Add chocolate chips and oil to the glass bowl, stirring as it gradually melts.
- Using small tongs, or two forks, dip each peanut butter filled cracker sandwich in the chocolate. Tap the side of the bowl to shake off excess chocolate before placing the chocolate covered cookie onto a piece of parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Chill to set the chocolate.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 6.2mg
Keywords: peanut butter buckeye cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, ritz crackers, buckeyes, buckeye cookies