I’m so happy it’s fresh corn on the cob season! Our local farmer’s market just opened last weekend, and we’ve already visited twice, just for the corn. I never look forward to the hot summers here in Arizona, but at least we can have our corn! Though it’s perfect in every way straight off the cob, this Mexican Street Corn With Panko is definitely one way to take it up a level. Let me tell you how easy it is to make.
Start by prepping your ingredients. Mix up the mayonnaise, sour cream, and fresh lime juice in a small bowl. Toast up some Panko style bread crumbs in a skillet along with some spices, like chili and cumin. When everything is ready, it’s time to cook the corn.
Grilling gives the corn a nice char and smokiness, and it works out well if you’re planning on grilling some meat to go along with the corn. When the corn kernels are tender, brush the mayonnaise mixture over each cob, and then sprinkle with cotija cheese, the toasted Panko, and fresh cilantro. The flavors and textures are out of this world! I can’t wait for you all to try this!
This version of Mexican Street Corn is inspired by the real thing, but not quite authentic. The Panko (or Japanese style bread crumbs) just adds the most delicious buttery crunch, but you wouldn’t find it sold on the streets in Mexico this way for sure. Sometimes food cultures collide and it’s a beautiful thing!
I kept this recipe on the mild side, but if you want to kick up the heat, you could add some cayenne pepper to the bread crumbs. Sweet, spicy, creamy, and crunchy all in one bite!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 6 ears of corn
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Remove husk and silk from the corn. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, and lime juice and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add panko, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Stir to toast evenly, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the grill is hot, cook the corn until slightly blackened and the kernels are just tender (about 5-7 minutes), turning frequently. Remove the corn from the grill.
- Brush the corn with the mayonnaise mixture, then sprinkle with cotija cheese, the toasted panko, and cilantro. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 ear of corn
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Sodium: 462mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 20mg