I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookies with you for a few months now. They are large and in charge and are in no way lacking in the chocolate department. Perfectly soft and chewy with a crisp edge, they leave a lasting impression on all who have the privilege of trying them. Let me tell you how I found them!
Back in February, which seems like a whole different world ago, I went to California for a girl’s trip. It was so fun and refreshing, and we stayed at an Airbnb in Balboa, called “The Shack”. It is right by the beach and was one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed in. Our host, Pam, met us there to go over everything and left us these amazingly Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookies to enjoy during our stay. It was definitely above and beyond, and we all agreed they were excellent cookies. Even after we came home, I couldn’t let them go and decided to message our host to see if she’d share the recipe. So glad she was willing!
This recipe makes 12 large cookies, but of course, you could make them with 2 tablespoons of dough for smaller cookies. Just decrease the baking time to 10-12 minutes. I just love how soft and chewy the middle of nice, big cookies are!
It’s also really nice to bake half the cookies, and then shape the dough and freeze the rest of it to use for later. Just set the cookie dough balls out on the baking sheet and let them thaw while the oven preheats if you are starting with frozen dough.
Baking with a chopped chocolate bar rather than chocolate chips is a little untidy, but the chocolate flavor is more intense and all melted throughout the cookie. So delicious! Make these Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookies the next time you need your chocolate fix, and keep some dough ready to bake in the freezer for emergencies.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookies are soft and chewy with a crisp edge, and they leave a lasting impression on all who try them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 9 ounces 60 percent cocoa bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus one egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, oats, and chocolate chunks (reserve 1/4 cup chocolate chunks to top cookie dough with before baking). Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs one at a time and mix again. Add vanilla and mix.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add the flour mixture. Mix until everything is fully incorporated into a dough, but do not over-mix.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop large dough balls onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet, baking six dough balls at a time. Place a few chocolate chunks onto the top of the dough ball before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 216mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: chocolate chunk cookies, chocolate chunks, cookies, snacks