We are taking a little road trip to spend some time on the beach with our family in Southern California this week. I can’t tell you how nice it is to be outside, and not instantly melt into a puddle of sweat! When I was little, we used to come here every summer and visit my grandparents, so I’m excited to watch my boys play in the waves, look for seashells, and dig for sand crabs like I used to do. Maybe even eat a literal SANDwich or two and start a seaweed fight!
Before we left, I made these Healthier Raspberry Almond Muffins, and could hardly wait to share them with you. They remind me of my Raspberry Almond Crumb Bars, which are to die for, but are lightened up just a bit in the form of a muffin with the help of coconut oil and Greek yogurt. The nice thing about this recipe is that it is super quick to whip up. You only need a couple of bowls and a wooden spoon. You don’t even have to break out the mixer, and because these muffins are mixed by hand, the crumb is so tender!
I think I already told you about my summer berry obsession, and so of course I had some raspberries that were ready to be used up in the fridge. The tart berries tucked away in the slightly sweet almond muffins are so perfect!
When I don’t top my muffins with a streusel, I like to use a course sparkling sugar. You can find it at most grocery stores in the baking aisle, or at craft store with the cake decorating supplies.
You may also notice that these muffins start out baking at a high temperature, but only for a few minutes. This really helps activate the leavening agents right away so they have that perfect muffin dome we all love!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
You’ll love the tart raspberries tucked into a slightly sweet almond muffin, which is lightened up with the help of coconut oil and Greek yogurt!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, halved
- sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and grease a standard size muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut oil and sugar with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add egg, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add Greek yogurt, whole milk, and almond extract, and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir until combined.
- Fold in raspberries gently.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into each muffin well. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon sparkling sugar over the top of each.
- Bake for 3 minutes at 400 (this helps the muffins rise), then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin for about 10-15 minutes, then twist to remove to a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 105mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg