I had a friend tell me a while back that I need to come up with more “guy food”. I believe his specific requests were for more recipes with bacon and beer. Hoping this Hatch Green Chile Queso, which has neither bacon nor beer, will count for something?
So even though I know we girls do love our queso, this recipe does feel like it falls in the “guy food” category to me. And with the big game coming up, I felt like it was the right thing to do.
It’s super quick and easy to make and comes out smooth and creamy, even without boxed cheese. Once you have the ingredients prepped (mostly just shredding cheese) it’ll just take about 10 minutes to come together. I like to make it in my cast iron skillet because the pan holds heat well and keeps the dip warm when I serve it. Even though Hatch green chiles are not really in season right now, I found a big bag of them in the frozen section at Trader Joe’s.
So no matter who you are cheering for, make this dip and everyone will have something to smile about!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2–3 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (plus more if needed for thinning)
- 1/2 cup roasted, chopped, Hatch green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Garnish with additional green chiles, chopped cilantro, and green onions if desired
- Serve with tortilla chips
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir, cooking for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the melted butter, and whisk to make a paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes, and then slowly whisk in the milk. Add green chiles, salt, and cumin. Allow to come to a gentle boil, whisking frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Turn heat to low. Add the cheese, and stir until smooth. Garnish and serve with chips.