We’ve had so much rain this last month here in Arizona, and in fact, it’s drizzling again outside as I type. Almost everyone in Arizona absolutely rejoices when it rains. The kids all come out to play and show off the rain boots they only get to wear once a year and we all drive 15 miles per hour under the speed limit because you know that road can be pretty slick! The only down side is we’ve had a TON of mosquitos. Has anyone found a repellant that actually works? My legs look like a war zone. Not pretty!
So in honor of our gorgeous grey rainy day, I’m sharing my easy peasy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, so you can feel nice and cozy too. It’s another one of those crockpot recipes where you get to just toss it all in and forget about it, just like my Easy Creamy Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken. Have you tried that one yet? Every time I go to church, someone tells me they made it and loved it, which pretty much makes my day every time!
One thing I love about this recipe is that it uses masa (which is a type of corn flour) to give some body and thickness to the soup. Don’t be intimidated if you haven’t used it before. It should be right by the all purpose flour in your grocery store. I also love this soup because it’s full of healthful ingredients, and the leftovers make a great lunch the next day. It does have a nice little spicy kick to it, and which my husband and I loved.
Well, whether you woke up to rain and shine, I hope your day is nice and cozy! I’ll be back next week sharing a new cookie recipe that just about blew my socks off. Can’t wait to share it with you!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn (I used Trader Joe's frozen Fire Roasted)
- 2 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (mild)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup masa (corn flour) mixed with 1 cup warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, fresh cilantro, diced avocado, cheese, tortilla chips.
- Into the crockpot goes the chicken, broth, black beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato soup, and taco seasoning. Give it a little stir, and then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When you are almost ready to serve (1 hour or so before), remove the chicken and shred. Add it back to the soup.
- Whisk the masa into the warm water until you have a smooth slurry, and then whisk it into the soup in the crockpot. Continue to cook on low until you are ready to serve.