Don’t you love that feeling you get when 3 o’clock rolls around and you think, “What on earth should I make for dinner?” and then you remember that you actually remembered to throw a little something in the crockpot, turn that little knob to LOW, and then went about your day. YES! I just love it when I know that dinner is well on its way, even when I’m out and about!
This is a crazy easy, crazy simple crockpot recipe that is really versatile. We’re talking five ingredients for the taco filling counting the chicken. One of the ingredients is my favorite salsa verde from Trader Joe’s. You can find it by the chips!
You can use it in tacos of course, or you can use it to top your nachos, fill your enchiladas, or even to add some protein to your salad. If you have leftovers, you’ll be so happy to see them waiting for you in your fridge the next day. We went with some old school crunchy taco shells, and topped the Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken filling with romaine lettuce, monterey jack cheese, diced avocado and a drizzle of sour cream. The whole family loved them!
So do yourself a favor this week, and let dinner practically make itself! And by the way, wouldn’t it be awesome if someone would invent a self-cleaning crockpot? Sorry if my laziness is showing again!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5–6 large)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups salsa verde (I love Trader Joe’s)
- Add chicken to the crockpot, and then top with seasonings, cubed cream cheese, and salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Use a whisk to mix the remaining sauce in the crockpot. The cream cheese may look a little lumpy, but it will smooth out as you stir.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot. Cook on low for another half hour to allow the chicken to absorb the creamy salsa verde sauce. I usually turn my crockpot to the “warm” setting at this point. The sauce will thicken up slightly as it cools.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 665
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Sodium: 823mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 97g
- Cholesterol: 295mg