If you need a quick idea for dinner this week, and don’t have a lot of time because you are busy with your Thanksgiving preparations, this is your ticket. I love this soup because it gets most of its flavor from jarred marinara, which makes it so simple and easy to pull together. It’s not a boring soup, where each bite is the same as the next, because it is full of chicken sausage, cheese tortellini, and basil. A nice crusty grilled cheese sandwich for dipping would be a perfect match for this soup.
I adapted this recipe from Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats. I love following Kristin because her recipes are right up my alley, and also because her little guy and my little guy share the same name so I’m a little partial.
Make sure you use a good quality marinara as this is where most of the flavor is coming from. I found most of my ingredients in one stop at Trader Joe’s, including the marinara, chicken sausage, and fresh basil. You could also use four cups of chicken stock (homemade or store bought) instead of the water and Better Than Bullion chicken base.Print
Easy Tomato Basil Soup With Chicken Sausage and Cheese Tortellini
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Super quick and easy tomato basil soup made with chicken sausage and cheese tortellini.
- 3 chicken sausage links
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 of an onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Chicken Base
- 26 ounce jar of marinara
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 9 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- In a large pot, brown chicken sausage over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When chicken sausage is browned, add butter and onions. Stir them occasionally, and cook for 3 minutes or onions are translucent and soft,
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add 4 cups of water and chicken base. Stir to dissolve.
- Stir in marinara and sugar.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and add tortellini. Gently boil for 7 minutes, and then turn heat to low.
- Stir in heavy cream and basil, and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 1134mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: easy tomato basil soup, chicken sausage, cheese tortellini, tomato soup, easy, healthy
This soup was easy to make and delicious. Thank you!
Chesca, thanks for letting me know! So glad you liked it!
We really enjoyed this! Tonight is our second time to make it in two weeks :). We don’t use canned marinara, however, so I added a clove of garlic and a little more onion with Italian herbs to make up for it. We’re from Louisiana too, so we add cayenne to everything ;-). Great soup!
Natalie, that sounds great! I’m so glad you were able to modify the recipe to suit your taste. Thanks for letting me know!
This is a nice & very fast recipe- I think I’d like to try it again with a tomato-basil sauce and some chicken & rosemary tortellini. I did add a bit more cream than called for to enrich, because- why not?!