I’m back with another fall baking recipe (you can see where my heart is these days) and these Apple Pie Crumble Bars are a very close cousin of the Pumpkin Butter Crumb Bars I just posted. When you find a sweet, buttery base and crumb topping in one that is easy to make – the possibilities that come to mind are many! As soon as I made this apple pie version, I just couldn’t wait to share it with you!
Instead of pumpkin butter, I made a quick apple filling with just Granny Smith apples, sugar, cornstarch and apple pie spice. I used 3 medium sized apples which yield about 2 cups once they were peeled and chopped.
I also sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the crumbs. Your house is going to smell like fall came over for a visit!
Do make sure you cut your apples into fairly small pieces. You want them to have enough time to soften while they bake, without overcooking the crumb topping. It might look like too much apples, but remember they will cook down as they bake, and the crumb topping will expand slightly.
I also lined my baking dish with a piece of parchment paper. I don’t think this is a must as there’s a lot of butter in the crust, but it does help if you like to lift the bars out of the pan to cut them like I do.
What should I make next? Are you all ready for some savory fall recipes or should I just keep bringing on the sweets?
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Your favorite apple pie meets a tender, sweet, buttery crumb bar. These will make your house smell like fall came for a visit!
For the Filling
- 2 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice blend
For the Crust and Crumb
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8 by 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Add apples, sugar, cornstarch and apple pie spice to a medium bowl and stir together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two forks. When the butter is cut into small pea sized flour coated crumbs, add the egg and stir to bring the dough together. Use clean hands if needed. The dough will be crumbly.
- Divide the dough in half and press one half into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the apple filling in an even layer over the dough, then crumble the remaining dough on top. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until the top is light golden brown and the apples are soft. Cool completely and then cut into bars.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 176mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
Keywords: apple pie crumb bars, apple pie, crumb bars, dessert bars, apple dessert, fall dessert