Your favorite apple pie meets a tender, sweet, buttery crumb bar. These will make your house smell like fall came for a visit!
For the Filling
- 2 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice blend
For the Crust and Crumb
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8 by 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Add apples, sugar, cornstarch and apple pie spice to a medium bowl and stir together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two forks. When the butter is cut into small pea sized flour coated crumbs, add the egg and stir to bring the dough together. Use clean hands if needed. The dough will be crumbly.
- Divide the dough in half and press one half into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the apple filling in an even layer over the dough, then crumble the remaining dough on top. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until the top is light golden brown and the apples are soft. Cool completely and then cut into bars.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 176mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
Keywords: apple pie crumb bars, apple pie, crumb bars, dessert bars, apple dessert, fall dessert