I’ve just found my cozy fall lunch sweet spot! Creamy Cashew Pumpkin Soup, you are ALL THE THINGS I love about soup in one bowl! We are talking quick and easy to make, healthy, and even friendly to those staying away from gluten and dairy. The flavors are oh so creamy, nutty, a little salty and just the right amount of pumpkin-y!
Blended cashews lend this soup it’s smooth, creamy texture. When you taste this soup, you won’t believe there’s no heavy cream in it at all!
I always like my soup to have some texture to it, so I garnished my bowl with lots of pepitas, some chopped cashews, and a little dried parsley. I love the beautiful fall colors! My favorite place to buy nuts and seeds is Trader Joes. They have the best variety (everything you can imagine – roasted, raw, salted, unsalted…) and they always taste fresher than when I buy uncommon varieties at the regular grocery store that have probably been sitting on the shelf for a while.
If you’ve never made pumpkin soup before, you MUST try this one! Your cozy fall lunch game will definitely be on point!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter (or both)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews plus extra for garnishing
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas for garnish
- dried parsley for garnishing (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté onions in oil and butter until they are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn heat down to medium low, and add chicken or vegetable broth and pumpkin to the pot, and stir to combine. Add turmeric, basil, and cumin. Let come to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of the soup and 1/2 cup of cashews to a high powered blender. Be very careful to vent the top of the blender so that pressure can escape as it is blending! Blend the cashews and soup until smooth and creamy (about 30-45 seconds). If you want your soup to be very smooth in texture, you can blend the rest of the soup (in batches as needed). If you want a little bit of texture from the onion pieces, just add the creamy cashew mixture back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and season with additional kosher salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with pepitas, chopped cashews and parsley if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 1643mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg