I’ve just found my cozy fall lunch sweet spot! Creamy Cashew Pumpkin Soup, you are ALL THE THINGS I love about soup in one bowl! We are talking quick and easy to make, healthy, and even friendly to those staying away from gluten and dairy. The flavors are oh so creamy, nutty, a little salty and just the right amount of pumpkin-y!
Blended cashews lend this soup it’s smooth, creamy texture. When you taste this soup, you won’t believe there’s no heavy cream in it at all!
I always like my soup to have some texture to it, so I garnished my bowl with lots of pepitas, some chopped cashews, and a little dried parsley. I love the beautiful fall colors! My favorite place to buy nuts and seeds is Trader Joes. They have the best variety (everything you can imagine – roasted, raw, salted, unsalted…) and they always taste fresher than when I buy uncommon varieties at the regular grocery store that have probably been sitting on the shelf for a while.
If you’ve never made pumpkin soup before, you MUST try this one! Your cozy fall lunch game will definitely be on point!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Creamy Cashew Pumpkin Soup
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
I’ve just found my cozy fall lunch sweet spot! Creamy Cashew Pumpkin Soup, you are ALL THE THINGS I love about soup in one bowl!
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter (or both)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews plus extra for garnishing
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas for garnish
- dried parsley for garnishing (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté onions in oil and butter until they are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn heat down to medium low, and add chicken or vegetable broth and pumpkin to the pot, and stir to combine. Add turmeric, basil, and cumin. Let come to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of the soup and 1/2 cup of cashews to a high powered blender. Be very careful to vent the top of the blender so that pressure can escape as it is blending! Blend the cashews and soup until smooth and creamy (about 30-45 seconds). If you want your soup to be very smooth in texture, you can blend the rest of the soup (in batches as needed). If you want a little bit of texture from the onion pieces, just add the creamy cashew mixture back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and season with additional kosher salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with pepitas, chopped cashews and parsley if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 1643mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: creamy cashew pumpkin soup, cashews, pumpkin, healthy, dinner
Nancy Braun says
Can’t wait to try it when I get home!
Chris Scheuer says
This looks and sounds so good Julie. I’m such a sucker for squash soups and I love how unique this is with the cashews 🙂 Hope you’re doing well!
Thank you Chris! We’re doing great, hope you guys are well too. Would love to sit and chat with you again like we did in Nashville. Maybe our paths will cross again soon!
Marion Laureanti says
Julie, the pumpkin soup looks absolutely splendid!!
I will be hosting a soup luncheon for a number of ladies up here in another month or so and that is definitely one of the soups I will serve!!
How wonderful! Hope everyone enjoys. How is your garden?
Carrie Arbuckle says
Chilly day here so i made this soup. I added a can of coconut milk & it came out super smooth, like a bisque. I didnt have any cashews ( I should have hifden them from the hubby better) but i added a generous tablespoon of almond butter & it was just what i needed to tie all of the flavors together. Thank you.
Sandra Pelletier says
Great start to our 2020 Christmas meal!! A creamy and flavorful soup; the seasonings highlight without overwhelming the pumpkin. Cashews were brilliant pureed in this 🙂 We were able to use fresh roasted pumpkin so we only pureed a portion with the cashews but wow what flavor and texture rich, creamy and smooth I was tempted to puree it all (when ‘finger cleaning’ the blender parts), but stuck with the onion and pumpkin bits. (It really is amazing what the right combinations do for flavor; I sampled our pumpkin after roasting and before adding, it was a bit ehhh – added it to the soup and wow there is that awesome pumpkin flavor!)
We decided to have this as our lunch while the turkey is baking; a delightful way for me and my spouse to enjoy our 2020 Christmas home alone cooking and eating all the day long! Thank you and Bless you this Holiday Season! (Great with a glass of Cabernet Franc too!)
Thank you so much for the kind review, sounds like it was a wonderful day!