Sometimes having an idea of what to make is more challenging than how to make it. This barely counts as a recipe, but might come in handy if your weeknights get crazy and you only have 20 minutes to pull something together for dinner. It sure beats sitting in the exhaust of the car in front of you in the drive thru right? If you love garlic bread and you love pizza, this is for you. It’s the best of both worlds. And you get to dip. Need I say more?
This would also be great as an appetizer at your next football party. I actually wouldn’t even know that football season had started, except for my husband’s frequent glances at his phone to check on his ever so hopeful fantasy football teams. (sigh)
Spread your garlic butter on the whole wheat bread and toast it under the broiler, then sprinkle with cheese and toppings. Back under the broiler it goes until your cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 1 loaf of whole wheat french bread
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup butter, softened (depending on the size of the loaf of bread)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- mini pepperoni (or sausage, olives, peppers?)
- dried or fresh parsley
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- Pour marinara sauce into a small saucepan and heat on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir garlic and butter together in a small bowl.
- Slice french bread in half as evenly as possible horizontally.
- Spread a thin layer of garlic butter on the bread.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and then into the oven and set oven to broil.
- Watch closely for the bread to start to brown. It will darken on the edges, and will lightly toast in the middle. (mine took about 5 minutes, but this will depend on how fast your oven heats up)
- Remove the bread from the oven and sprinkle mozzarella cheese and toppings on top of the garlic bread.
- Return garlic bread to the oven under the broiler, and watch closely for the cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing into 2 inch pieces with a serrated knife.
- Serve with warmed marinara.