All the seasonal candy filling up the grocery store shelves brings back memories for me. When I was a little girl, Halloween was by far my favorite holiday. I adored candy. Going door to door to collect “Fun size” Snickers and Butterfingers, tiny boxes of Milk Duds and Dots, Tootsie Rolls, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Twizzlers, and Dum-Dums…
When we got back from trick-or-treating, my brother and sister and I would sit down on the family room floor, dump out our candy into a huge pile, and the trading ceremony would begin. I remember being amazed that my mom would let me keep my little orange plastic pumpkin full of candy in my room, where I had total freedom to eat as much candy as I wanted. There was no such thing as too sweet or too much. By the end of the week my little orange plastic pumpkin would be full of wrappers, and my candy long gone.
I used my mom’s sugar cookie recipe to make these soft, buttery treats, and dressed them up for Fall with a cute little pumpkin candy. My boys liked eating the cookie all around the edges, saving the very middle for last.Print
Soft, buttery sugar cookies all dressed up for Fall with a cute mellowcreme candy pumpkin.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 bag of Brach’s Mellowcreme Pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add egg and oil. Mix well.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tarter.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into mixing bowl with wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Form dough into one inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Place on a Silpat lined or greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Immediately press a candy pumpkin into each cookie when they come out of the oven.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 49mg
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
Keywords: mellowcreme pumpkin cookies, sugar cookies, Brach’s Mellowcreme Pumpkins, fall baking