Nothing makes getting the boys out the door on a school morning go smoother than having breakfast ready to go! These Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Snack (or breakfast) Bars are little boy approved and the perfect companion to a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee (for me, not the boys).
Last time I was at Costco, I bought two things that were not on my list. I really try to stick to the list because Costco (with those sweet little sample ladies) is too tempting for me to enter without a game plan. I can easily walk out with $200 worth of product and then get home and realize I don’t have anything to make for dinner! Woe is me, right? Please tell me I’m not alone!
One of the things that jumped into my oversized cart unplanned was a box of Kodiak Cake pancake and waffle mix. I had heard another blogger (thank you Bakermama) rave about them, kind of remembered them from Shark Tank, and when I saw there was a coupon, I decided to give them a shot. They’re awesome! Love the extra protein and the fact that I can just add equal amounts of mix and milk and pancakes are ready to go!
I’ve adapted a recipe that was on the back of the box a little bit, adding some Greek yogurt and a little more mix, and also substituting some real maple syrup for some of the brown sugar.
You can add chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts, but knowing my boys, I chose to add chocolate chips. The banana keeps them moist without adding oil and I just love having something quick and easy for those busy mornings!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pancake or waffle mix (I used Kodiak Cakes)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1/3 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare an 8 by 8 inch baking pan by spraying with nonstick spray, or lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir waffle mix, oats, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream banana, brown sugar, and egg together until smooth on medium speed. Add maple syrup and Greek yogurt and mix until blended.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the pan in an even layer and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, and then remove from pan and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is adapted from one I found on the box of Kodiak Cake waffle and flapjack mix.
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 461mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 21mg