I feel like this salad is a great way to celebrate the fact that spring is just around the corner. I don’t know how it is where you live, but here in Arizona, winter left about a month ago and she left very suddenly.
One day we were cozied up by the fireplace, drinking hot tea under a blanket, and the next day my boys were asking if it was time to go swimming.
Winter. Was. Outta. Here.
She didn’t bother to give her 2 weeks notice, or even leave a note! A tad bit on the rude side if you ask me.
Now if you’ve endured a long, dark, icy winter, I’m sure you would be happy to see her go. But we only have small window of “not summer” as it is, so when it’s cut short, we definitely feel cheated.
But instead of feeling abandoned and rejected, I’m looking forward and celebrating what’s up ahead!
If spring were a salad, I think this would be her. Bright, cheery, and fresh.
I recently made this salad for a little ladies lunch at church and it got great reviews!
Make yourself this light and cheery salad for a taste of what’s just up ahead. Hope spring and her promise of all things new and fresh find you very soon, wherever you are!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (or aged balsamic)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous
- salt and pepper
- Prepared Couscous
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil, sugar, vinegar, and mustard over medium high heat, whisking constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the dressing emulsifies. Stir in almond extract. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium pan, bring butter and broth to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Allow to set for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous, spinach, strawberries, feta, and hazelnuts. Stir in dressing and then season with salt and pepper to taste.