Like a lot of food bloggers, I started blogging when my first little baby boy was born. It was a good way to keep everyone informed about all the important milestones – like the first time he slept more than 2 inches away from me, wore the color green, or tooted and smiled about it. Because these things are a BIG DEAL with the first baby!
And because I was sooo hungry all the time in those weeks/months after he was born, I started baking… a lot! I couldn’t really handle going out to eat with a newborn very easily, but somehow I could satisfy those cravings by getting creative in my kitchen while the little guy slept nearby. I started to post those recipes as well, and seven years later, Lovely Little Kitchen (my fourth child) was born!
This Strawberry and Spinach Salad With Almond Vinaigrette is what I used to make for myself for lunch a lot in those days. It was quick and healthy, but it felt a little fancy. I think I felt better about being in my yoga pants and tank top 24 hours round the clock because at least I fixed myself a nice little lunch. The house wasn’t as clean as it was pre-baby, I wasn’t sure if I showered today or if that was yesterday, but hey, I’m not eating another bowl of cereal for lunch!
This fruity green salad is perfect for little girlfriend get togethers and showers. You can have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, and then assemble it last minute. You can also add slices of grilled chicken to make it more filling and serve it as a main dish. This salad screams chick-food but my husband actually really likes it too!
When I make this for myself to eat for lunch for the week, I like to keep my vinaigrette in a mason jar so I can just keep it in the fridge and then shake it up before I dress my salad. I’ll get about six salads out of one recipe for the almond vinaigrette.
My favorite part about this salad is definitely the sugared almonds. They really make this salad fabulous!
And just for fun, this is the picture of this salad I posted to my old blog years ago. Yeah, it’s a little underexposed and not very sharply focused either. But I was super proud of this picture at the time. I still have a lot to learn, but I’m glad I’ve made some improvement in my photography over the years!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- dash of salt
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugared almonds
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stirring frequently, heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add almond extract and remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
- I like to keep mine in a small mason jar, so that I can shake it with the lid on before dressing my salad.
- In a small nonstick pan, combine almonds and sugar over medium high heat. Stirring frequently (don't walk away), toast the almonds until the sugar begins to melt. When it is completely dissolved and coating the almonds, remove them from the pan onto a piece of wax paper. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, and allow to cool.
- Onto your bed of spinach, sprinkle strawberries, Feta cheese, and sugared almonds. I like to use about 1 tablespoon of the dressing for my salad, and then mix well so everything is coated in the dressing.