Happy National Ice Cream Week! Let’s celebrate with homemade ice cream sandwiches! Especially in the summertime, there’s just something about knowing there’s a little stash of this sinful, chocolatey goodness waiting in the freezer for you. These S’more Inspired Ice Cream Sandwiches are my latest obsession. We’ve got a graham cracker cookie (YES – a cookie made with graham cracker crumbs instead of flour from theKitchn <– GENIUS) plus Rocky Road Ice Cream, a milk chocolate coating, and some crushed roasted and salted almonds!
These ice cream sandwiches are not for sissies! They are large and in charge, and you’ll need to do some jaw stretching before you take your first bite if you are going to make it happen. But here’s the deal, you’ve got to make them AT LEAST a few days in advance (a week if you can) so that the cookie has time to absorb some of the moisture from the ice cream sandwich and soften just a bit so that when you sink your teeth into the texture is just right. It’s heaven, I’m telling you! Why is my mouth watering as I type?
And in my humble opinion, those roasted almonds are just what s’mores are missing – something salty to balance out all the sweetness! Now I know why my sweet sister-in-law likes to make her s’mores with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!
One more note about the recipe, for the dipping chocolate it helps to add one teaspoon of oil (like avocado, canola, or vegetable oil) because it thins out the chocolate and helps make it a little more pliable when frozen so that it doesn’t crack into a million pieces and land in your lap when you take that first bite.
Hope you all are enjoying your summer friends!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
S’more Inspired Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 12 mins
- Yield: 6 large ice cream sandwiches 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
These S’more Inspired Ice Cream Sandwiches have a graham cracker cookie plus Rocky Road Ice Cream, milk chocolate, and crushed roasted and salted almonds!
For the Graham Cracker Cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 sheets graham crackers (5″ x 2.25″ graham crackers or 2 cups graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (or more) Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup crushed roasted, salted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add the graham cracker mixture to the mixing bowl, and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball for each cookie and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, place the cookies into the freezer until you are ready to assemble and they are very firm.
For the Assembly
- Place a scoop of ice cream on the frozen cookie and top, pressing down until the ice cream reaches the edge of the cookie. Work quickly and place the sandwiched cookies in the freezer to firm up.
- Using a double boiler (heat safe glass bowl fitted over a small pan with 1 inch of simmering water), melt chocolate chips and oil together and stir until smooth. Dip one half of each sandwich, then roll in crushed almonds. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Place the dipped ice cream sandwich on a piece of parchment paper in a sealed container and freeze until ready to serve. I recommend making these at least a few days in advance – the ice cream gradually softens the cookie in the freezer and makes it so much easier to eat.*
Graham Cracker Cookie recipe slightly adapted from thekitchn
*These ice cream sandwich cookies taste best when they have been assembled and kept in the freezer for a few days. The cookie will soften and it makes them much easier to eat. The longer you leave them in the freezer, the better they get!
- Serving Size: 1 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Calories: 938
- Sugar: 64g
- Sodium: 629mg
- Fat: 59g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Unsaturated Fat: 28.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 90g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
Keywords: s’mores, ice cream sandwiches, graham cracker cookies, rocky road ice cream
My kids would love them ! Thanks for sharing
These look so delicious and perfect for summertime!
Thank you Bethany!
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
I am super impressed with your dedication Julie. I would have a REALLY hard time waiting a few days (a week?? impossible) to eat these, but the softening sounds amazing. That’s my biggest beef with ice cream sandwiches. Love the nuts!!
So it helps that they are tucked in the freezer out of sight, unlike a pan of brownies on the counter which would never last that long in our house!