So excited to share this recipe for Smashed and Roasted Parmesan Potatoes with you! I have to admit it’s more of a method than a recipe because you really can make it your own very easily following the same technique.
Here’s a little of the back story. We recently celebrated Little Boy #1’s tenth birthday with the whole family, which really means he’s not so little anymore! We had grilled chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, potatoes, and chocolate cake – all his summertime favorites.
Whenever I’m in charge of food for a big group (this time about 20) I get SO nervous about having enough. I basically keep adding food until the very last minute and then just start praying for the best. It’s really stressful and I wish I could get over it and just let enough be enough. Maybe you can relate?
Of course, we had WAY too much food, and I ended up taking a lot of food home. So we’ve been having chicken all week (chicken tacos, chicken quesadillas, chicken salad… ) and I also had a good amount baked red potatoes to use up.
In order to give the potatoes a bit of a facelift, I decided to do this smash and roast method and then top them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I cut a small “x” in the top of the potato and then smashed it with the bottom of a glass jar. To get them nice and crisp, I drizzled butter drizzled over the top, along with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried herbs (I used basil and parsley) and then I cranked that oven up roasted them until they were browned and crisp on the edges. I could never turn down a crispy potato, friends. These are so delicious! I’m assuming you don’t have leftover potatoes in your fridge right now so I wrote this recipe starting with raw potatoes.
They turned out to be so amazing, I had to share them with you. I think they are definitely worth that extra step and smashing and roasting. I love the hint of herbs, the contrast of the crispy potato skins and creamy insides, and the fresh parmesan just barely melted over the top. So good!!! Try them!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 12 medium sized red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes clean, then dry well, then place them in a large bowl with olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes (depending on their size), or until tender when poked with a fork.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and turn the heat to 450 degrees. Use a sharp knife to cut an "x" on the top of each potato. Use the bottom of a glass to smash the potato, exposing the inside, but keeping the skin on the bottom intact as much as possible.
- Drizzle butter over the top of each smashed potato and then sprinkle with herbs, and more salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until edges are crisp and browned.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, and then sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese.