I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without posting my Simple Homemade Lasagna recipe here! Everyone needs a good go-to lasagna recipe, and this is one that my mom and I came up with years ago and make all the time. It doesn’t require any fancy ingredients, and it’s very kid friendly. What I love best is that you don’t have to boil the noodles ahead of time! This recipe makes two small pans with nine servings each, which is great for making one for dinner and one for the freezer.
I also like that it uses cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, even though I’m sure any true Italian cook would roll their eyes at me. My unsophisticated palate just likes the overall texture better. The cottage cheese provides a really nice creaminess but sort of just melts into the layers. But of course, you could substitute ricotta if you please!
One tip for getting the most flavor out of your ground beef is to make sure you are browning it rather than steaming it. Get your pan hot, then add the ground beef and sort of flatten it to one layer. Then just leave it alone! Let it sizzle and crackle until you know there is a nice golden sear on the bottom. This is where a lot of the flavor comes from, and it will make your lasagna extra delicious. Once it is nice and golden, you can use your wooden spoon to break it up and cook it all the way through.
I love having a meal or two in the freezer to pull out if needed. This Simple Homemade Lasagna is pure comfort food and just right for a cozy weeknight at home!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups jarred spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb. small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. cheese, shredded (I use half mozzarella and half cheddar)
- 16 uncooked lasagna noodles, trimmed to fit the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two 8 by 8, or 9 by 9 inch baking dishes by spraying with nonstick spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add ground beef, leaving it in one flat layer to sear. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Once the bottom is golden, break up the ground beef with a wooden spoon and cook through, draining off any excess oil.
- Turn the heat off and stir in 2 cups of the spaghetti sauce. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg together. Set aside.
- Spread a 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of each pan. Lay four noodles over the sauce. Spread 1/4 of the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Then 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Lastly, add 1/4 of the meat mixture. Repeat with the same amount of noodles, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and meat in both pans.
- Cover and freezer one pan if desired.
- Bake the lasagna covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and then uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the noodles are soft. Let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 529mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 67mg