A couple weeks ago I had one big daddy of a zucchini in my fridge and a hankering for fried zucchini. It was lunch time and I thought, I’m just going to live a little and skip my usual green smoothie and give into my cravings. So I had my heart set on it when I realized I didn’t have any breadcrumbs…
I only live about 3 minutes away from the grocery store, but sometimes I get very lazy/introverted and don’t want to leave my house. Because then I would have to get out of my pajamas. (Now you know why I’m a blogger?)
What I did find in my pantry was some pita chips. Mulitgrain pita chips with sesame seeds from Trader Joe’s to be exact. So I put them in the Twister Jar of my Blendtec and gave them a quick choppity chop.
BEST DECISION EVER! As you can see, they came out perfectly golden brown and crispy with a touch of nuttiness from the sesame seeds. So good! I don’t usually go to any great length to prepare my lunch, but I was so happy I gave into my cravings that day!
So you see, there are times when laziness pays off and sometimes you just have to look around your kitchen and make do with what you have. You might just stumble upon something great! And if not, you can always just get dressed and go to the store.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Pita Chip Fried Zucchini
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Late summer zucchini breaded with pita chip crumbs and fried to golden brown perfection!
- 2 cups Mulitgrain Pita Chip crumbs (I used Trader Joe’s Mulitigrain Sesame Seed Pita Chips)
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large zucchini sliced very thin (I used a mandolin)
- Oil (peanut, vegetable, or canola) for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, chop up pita chips to a fine crumb, measure 2 cups, and pour into a shallow bowl.
- Beat your egg and milk together in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each zucchini slice into the egg mixture, followed by the pita chip crumbs. Pat the crumbs onto the zucchini to help them stick, and then place them on a plate.
- Pour oil into a large pot or dutch oven so that it is about an inch up the side of the pot. Turn heat to medium high. You want your oil to be about 350 degrees. I don’t use a cooking thermometer, but just drop in a “test” zucchini. If it is golden brown in about 2-3 minutes, then you know your oil is the right temperature.
- Work in batches of about 8 zucchini at a time, depending on how large your pot is. When the zucchini is golden brown, use a metal slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: pita chip fried zucchini, fried zucchini, zucchini
Disclaimer: the links in this post for the Blendtec Blender as Twister Jar are Amazon affiliate links.
sally @ sally's baking addiction says
Pure genius. Love pita chips, love fried zucchini!
Thank you Sally 🙂
Matt Robinson says
This could be my entire meal, they look amazing!!!
Annie @Maebells says
Oh wow! I love this idea! Such a fun twist!
Thanks Annie 🙂
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
Love it when things just work out like that! Congrats on an awesome lunch. I was even more lazy than you today. Not only did I not go to the store, I ate my kid’s leftover sandwiches. 🙂 #allthetime
Oh I’ve been there too Karen!