My husband is a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter, so when we celebrated his birthday a couple weekends ago, I wanted to incorporate peanut butter cups into his cake. I also wanted something that would serve a crowd and that I could make a few days ahead of time. My family has always enjoyed an Oreo version of this, but this was our first time doing it peanut butter style!
So instead of an Oreo crust, I used Nutter Butters. And I used vanilla ice cream, but you could also change that out for chocolate.
A thick layer of homemade fudge covers the ice cream, followed by a whipped cream topping.
Last but not least, I added a heavy sprinkling of roughly chopped miniature peanut butter cups. Make this for the peanut butter cup lover in your life (you?) and I guarantee they’ll love you for it!Print
If you love peanut butter cups, you’ll love this ice cream dessert. With a Nutter Butter crust and a thick layer of homemade fudge, you can’t go wrong!
- 25 Nutter Butter Cookies, finely crushed
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cartons vanilla ice cream (1.5 quarts each)
- Fudge Topping (Recipe Below)
- 8 ounces whipped cream topping, thawed
- 35 miniature peanut butter cups roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium bowl combine crushed cookies and melted butter until well combined.
- Press the crushed cookies into the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Place the crust into the freezer for 1 hour to harden.
- Soften ice cream on the counter so that it is easy to spread.
- Remove cookie crust from the freezer, and spread both cartons of vanilla ice cream over the crust.
- Put it back into the freezer for an hour to refreeze the ice cream.
- In the meantime, make fudge topping according to the following recipe, and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and spread fudge over the ice cream in an even layer. Return to freezer.
- Spread cool whip over fudge layer, and sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups and return to freezer.
- When serving, allow the ice cream dessert to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to make cutting easier.
- In a medium saucepan combine cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and half of the chocolate and bring to a gentle boil stirring continuously over medium heat until chocolate is melted.
- Reduce heat to medium low and boil the chocolate gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in butter and remaining chocolate until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly before pouring over ice cream layer.
Fudge Topping from Center Cut Cook.
Keywords: peanut butter cup ice cream dessert, peanut butter cups, nutter butter cookie crust, homemade fudge topping, ice cream dessert