We just finished up a “winter” soccer season for Little Boy #2. It was so fun for me to watch him play because he really came alive out there! Last season, he was just trying to get the hang of it and would pretty much just stand wherever the coach told him to stand. If the ball was lucky enough to come right to him, he’d give it a little boot and get right back to his station. But this season, once he’d had a taste of victory, he just couldn’t get enough and played his little heart out.
I have to admit, I’m one of those moms who likes to yell. I definitely keep my hollering positive- we are talking about four and five year olds – but I can feel the competitive nature rise up in me, and I just really want to win. Err… I mean, I want him to win.
I can see how parents who don’t keep that in check can easily make fools of themselves. Please let that not ever be me.
But let’s talk about Baked Honey Lime Chicken Taquitos, which are a winner every time! These are inspired by the fabulous Honey Lime Enchiladas made by The Sister’s Cafe. If you haven’t tried those yet, they are one of our family’s favorites so head on over and check them out. These have the same sweet spicy flavor, but are in the simplified form of a taquito instead of an enchilada, with a fresh, creamy, mildly spicy dip.
I love that they are baked instead of fried. When you spray them with a little oil before baking, the tortilla still gets nice and crispy on the outside but stays soft on the inside.
I used shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken I bought at the grocery store to save some time, and I even had everything all assembled and ready to bake in the morning, and then just finished them off in the oven at dinner time. See, told ya there were a winner!Print
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 10 soft taco sized flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
Cilantro Lime Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup green taco sauce (mild)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, lime juice, honey, chili powder, and garlic and mix to coat.
- Lay out your tortillas, and divide chicken evenly on the center of each tortilla. Top each one with cheese.
- Roll each tortilla tightly, leaving the ends open, and place them on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then serve with Cilantro Lime Cream.
Cilantro Lime Cream
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 1015
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 1280mg
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19.3g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 100g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 51g
- Cholesterol: 166mg