I made these One Bowl Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies to keep my mind and hands occupied this week as ALL THREE of my boys went back to school! Sorry if I’m shouting… I’m just a little excited and nervous all at the same time. The boys were all smiles as we dropped them off so that makes it easier, and I’m really cherishing the peace and quiet that has suddenly filled my house, but man, I miss them!
I made these cookies (which I found on Smitten Kitchen – one of the best food blogs ever) last week, and the boys could not accept the fact that they ate them all in only two days and requested that I make them again very soon.
These are very, very good chocolate cookies. I think chocolate can actually be a tricky flavor to work with mainly because we eat it straight up so much that we expect that same intensity from anything that bears the name. But when you bake with it, and it’s mixed with so many other ingredients, the flavor can get a little diluted, and you feel a little let down when you first take a bite based on your expectations of CHOCOLATE. But not these guys. That chocolate flavor hits you right where it should.
The texture is soft and brownie-like, and I love that they are made in one bowl and mixed by hand. Very doable on short notice, which is a both convenient and dangerous!
Looking forward to sitting down with the boys at the end of the day with a plate of cookies and glasses of milk all around so I can hear all about their first day. By the way, we all watched a documentary called, “On the Way to School” this past weekend that I would highly recommend. It shows the brave journeys of kids in four different countries as they make their way to school. My boys thought it was very interesting, and I think it helped them appreciate what a privilege it is to go to school.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 4 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coffee extract (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (plus more for the tops of the cookies after baking, optional)
- In a large microwavable bowl, heat butter and chocolate together until butter is just melted (about 1 minute). Stir together by hand until smooth.
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and coffee extract and stir together until smooth.
- Then add flour, cocoa powder (sifting if needed), baking soda, and salt and stir until just incorporated. Mix in chocolate chips, cover, and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a scoop for uniform size, scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie and roll into balls. Place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes. The tops of the cookies should begin to crack. Remove the cookies from the oven, and press additional chocolate chips onto the tops of cookies if desired. Allow them to sit on the baking sheet to cool for a few minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.