- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 4 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coffee extract (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (plus more for the tops of the cookies after baking, optional)
- In a large microwavable bowl, heat butter and chocolate together until butter is just melted (about 1 minute). Stir together by hand until smooth.
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and coffee extract and stir together until smooth.
- Then add flour, cocoa powder (sifting if needed), baking soda, and salt and stir until just incorporated. Mix in chocolate chips, cover, and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a scoop for uniform size, scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie and roll into balls. Place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes. The tops of the cookies should begin to crack. Remove the cookies from the oven, and press additional chocolate chips onto the tops of cookies if desired. Allow them to sit on the baking sheet to cool for a few minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 26mg