My mother in law told me a couple of years ago that the best way to cook corn was to microwave it. If I’m being honest, I was a little hesitant about this method. There are very few fresh foods that benefit from the mysterious powers of the microwave. I felt like it might make it taste chewy or unevenly cooked. But now that I’ve tried it, I’m a believer! Here’s what you’ve got to do…
1. Choose your corn wisely. The freshness of your corn is way more important than the method you choose to cook it. So while microwaving corn on the cob is very convenient, if you are starting out with “old” corn, it really won’t matter whether you boil it, grill it, microwave it, or eat it raw. It’s going to taste gummy! I’m a huge fan of eating corn on the cob straight from the field. We have a small local farm nearby that grows corn every year. We eat the corn we buy within one or two days. It’s the best way to do it because as soon as the corn is picked, the sugars in the kernels start to turn into starch and this is what makes your corn taste gummy and chewy (yuck). I know everyone doesn’t have access to a field of fresh corn, but you can ask the produce guy/gal when they received their corn so you know how fresh it is.
2. Microwaving the Corn: Leave the husks on the corn, and microwave 3-4 ears of corn at a time for 3-4 minutes. If you want to only want to cook 1-2 ears of corn, decrease the time to 2 minutes. No need to soak them in water or rotate. The husk seals in the moisture as they cook.
3. Let the corn sit for 5 minutes after microwaving. They are super hot inside and will continue to steam as they sit.
4. Using the cornsilk “tassel” (that little dangly part), pull back the husk and silk. The cornsilk will easily and cleanly slip off the kernels. Discard the silk and either leave the husk on for a natural handle or twist it off.
5. Add butter, salt, and EAT! Is there anything better? I think not!
My favorite way to eat fresh corn besides straight off the cob (with a side of BBQ chicken) is my Chili Lime Sweet Corn Salad. Give it a go, and let me know how you like it!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
- 3–4 freshly picked ears of corn
- Butter, salt, etc.
- Place the ears of corn in the microwave with the husk intact. Cook for 3-4 minutes, and then allow to sit for an additional 3 minutes.
- Using the corn silk tassel, pull back the husk and remove the silk.
- Butter, salt, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 Ear of Corn
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 0.8mg
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg