Hello friends! This is a sponsored post in partnership with Dave’s Killer Bread. Today we are teaming up to bring you this recipe for a homemade tomato soup with a toasted cheese sandwich made with a garlic butter spread! It is perfect for cozy, fall dinners and freezes well so you can save some for later.
Ever since I was introduced to Dave’s Killer Bread, I’ve been enjoying all kinds of grilled, toasted, and panini style sandwiches for lunch. One of my favorite variations of the classic grilled cheese is this Garlic Bread Toasted Cheese Sandwich. Instead of just using plain butter, a garlic butter spread goes on both sides and then it is cooks to crispy golden brown perfection under the broiler, which makes is so easy to make more than one at a time.
So naturally I wanted to share that idea with you all, my fellow foodie friends, and how could I not make a Homemade Tomato Soup to go with? Excuse me while I dip and slurp… This Homemade Tomato Soup starts with bacon which rounds out the tanginess of the tomato with a deep smokey flavor. I also added some fresh garlic, dried basil and oregano, and just a touch of cream. So much better than canned!
Is there anything more comforting than a really good grilled cheese? I’m gonna say, grilled cheese made with Dave’s Killer Bread… If you are not yet familiar with Dave’s Killer Bread, you really should be properly introduced! It’s an amazing tasting organic bread packed with protein, fiber, and whole grains – minus anything artificial. They have a fierce following of “bread heads” and I can definitely see how one could get carried away in their enthusiasm for this bread. It’s seriously so good. Like so good, I wouldn’t even think about tossing out the heels.
And it’s not just about a great tasting, healthy bread. The company has a unique history and mission that revolves around offering second chances. As a girl on the receiving end of grace and second chances more than I’ll ever know, this mission is one that I can appreciate. One out of every three Dave’s Killer Bread employees has a criminal background, and there are numerous stories of the power of second chances and redemption. I love hearing stories of how people CAN change, and how sometimes a job is way more than just a job.
It’s always good to know the mission behind the companies we buy our food from. It’s hard for me to eat a slice of bread without thinking about those it represents, and their stories. Good stuff, my friends. Hope you get the chance to try it, and that you enjoy sitting down with a warm bowl of Homemade Tomato Soup and to savor this classic combo made even better! Enjoy.
This post is sponsored by Dave’s Killer Bread.Print
The classic combo made even better!
For the Tomato Soup
- 3 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 cups good quality chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 slices of Dave’s Killer Bread Thin-Sliced Good Seed, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
For the Garlic Bread Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 garlic glove pressed through a garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 8 slices Dave’s Killer Bread Thin-Sliced Good Seed
- 4 slices cheese (I used Muenster)
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium high heat until the fat begins to render out. Add onions, and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic cloves, and cook until fragrant, 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits. Add tomatoes, spices, and sugar. Bring to a boil over and turn down heat to medium low. Simmer gently for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the bread cubes and allow to soften in the soup, and then use an emersion blender to puree until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the heavy cream and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, but the need will vary depending on the saltiness of the chicken broth. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
For the Garlic Bread Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
- Assemble cheese sandwiches and then spread garlic butter on both sides. Place the sandwiches on an baking sheet, and place under the broiler. Watch closely for the tops to turn golden brown, and then flip and brown the other side.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 608
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 2069mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 21g
- Cholesterol: 85mg