Hi there, it’s me again! I made these Homemade Caramel Almond Shortbread Bites a few weeks ago, and I’m so excited to finally share them with you! Oh man, these little naughty bites are what my dreams are made of. Buttery shortbread, creamy caramel, chopped almonds, and milk chocolate – I know this probably doesn’t sound very humble, but I think these are the might be the best thing I’ve ever made!
My friends, there is something about homemade caramel that just makes me so happy. I’m definitely not above using a jar or melting down candies when you are in a hurry, but those little shortcuts don’t even hold a candle to the real deal. If you enjoy homemade caramel, you must invest in a digital candy thermometer. This makes all the difference for me between getting the caramel to the right consistency, and ruining the whole batch! There’s no guessing with a digital thermometer, and the response time is so much faster than the old school type of thermometer. You don’t even want to know how many times my old thermometer fell off the side of the pot straight into my boiling caramel!
I loved these so much I had to give them away. Not like if I don’t give these away I will eat them all. More like, everyone must taste these once in their life in order to have lived a full and happy life! They remind me a little bit of a Twix candy bar, but just so much more amazing!
Helloooo melted chocolate!
And helloooo little heavenly Homemade Caramel Almond Shortbread Bite lovies. I miss you. Come back soon!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Tiny pieces of chocolate covered shortbread topped with the best ever homemade caramel and almonds!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips for melting/dipping
- Line a 9 by 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Then add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool. While the shortbread is cooking, you can start on the caramel layer.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (I used a 3.0 quart), stir sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup of heavy cream, and salt together over high heat. You need to stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it reaches 240 degrees. Then, add 1/2 cup more cream, and bring it back to 240 degrees, stirring constantly. Add the last 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and bring it to 240 degrees.
- Pour the hot caramel over the shortbread layer, and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Allow the caramel to fully cool and set before cutting. I find it easier cut when the caramel is slightly chilled, but not hard as a rock. I like to lift the whole thing out of the pan using the parchment paper lining and cut on a cutting board.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, or use a double boiler. Dip the bottom half of each square into the chocolate, using a toothpick inserted into the caramel layer to hold it as you dip. Place them on a parchment or silicone baking mat to set the chocolate.
- Serving Size: 1 Shortbread Bite
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Disclaimer: the links in this post for the digital candy thermometer are Amazon affiliate links.