Tiny pieces of chocolate covered shortbread topped with the best ever homemade caramel and almonds!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips for melting/dipping
- Line a 9 by 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Then add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool. While the shortbread is cooking, you can start on the caramel layer.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (I used a 3.0 quart), stir sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup of heavy cream, and salt together over high heat. You need to stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it reaches 240 degrees. Then, add 1/2 cup more cream, and bring it back to 240 degrees, stirring constantly. Add the last 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and bring it to 240 degrees.
- Pour the hot caramel over the shortbread layer, and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Allow the caramel to fully cool and set before cutting. I find it easier cut when the caramel is slightly chilled, but not hard as a rock. I like to lift the whole thing out of the pan using the parchment paper lining and cut on a cutting board.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, or use a double boiler. Dip the bottom half of each square into the chocolate, using a toothpick inserted into the caramel layer to hold it as you dip. Place them on a parchment or silicone baking mat to set the chocolate.
- Serving Size: 1 Shortbread Bite
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Keywords: homemade caramel almond shortbread bites, homemade caramel, shortbread, chocolate