Meal prep. What’s your take on it? Do you feel all warm and cozy inside knowing that there’s a weeks worth of healthy meals sitting in the fridge all ready to go for you? Or are you like me, you think it sounds like a good idea, but when it comes time to eat the food you prepared you kind of wish you could eat something else… You look at that neat little stack of identical, ready-to-go meals, and say in your heart of hearts, “Don’t BOSS ME healthy meal all ready-to-go, I’m not hungry for you anymore!”
Then you pour yourself a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with whole milk, turn on a little Chip n’ Jo, and go to your happy place…
You too? I feel so much better!
So why I am I sharing these delicious Healthy Southwestern Chicken Bowls, which are the very essence of the meal prep trend that I gently oppose? Well, because my husband likes to take lunches such as these to work instead of going out every single day, and I’m pretty proud of him! And actually I’ve eaten them for lunch two days in a row, and I really do like them a lot. Just don’t make me eat the same thing four days in a row and I’ll be fine.
They only take about 30 minutes to make, and then you just divide them all up in their nice little containers. Add a squeeze of lime and some avocado just before you eat them, and you’ve even got some healthy fat to go with that protein and fiber. I love that these keep me going throughout the afternoon so I’m not too tempted to snack.
Whenever my husband warms these up at work, his co-workers tell him they smell so good! Hope you get the chance to try them too.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These healthy bowls are everything you need to get through your busy day, and can be made up ahead for quick portable lunches.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2–3 tablespoons avocado oil (may sub other oil), divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Chipotle and Roasted Garlic Seasoning (from McCormick)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 avocados, pits and peeling removed
- 1 lime, sliced
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and coat with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle seasoning and salt and pepper evenly over the chicken, turning to coat.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is glistening, add the chicken to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Do not move the chicken around in the pan, or it will not sear properly and could stick.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and clean the skillet.
- Add a small amount of oil to the pan over medium heat, and saute peppers for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth, and stir.
- Place the seared chicken back into the pan, cover, and cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, slice into thin strips, and divide into four portions. Divide the peppers and beans. Top with a lime, and add sliced avocado just before serving. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 688mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 20.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
Keywords: healthy southwestern chicken bowls, chicken bowls, meal prep, chicken, lunch