If you need an idea for a little treat for your kids or your honey that has Happy Valentine’s Day written all over it, these Easy White Chocolate Sugar Cookie Bars are your ticket. No scooping dough balls or rolling/cutting necessary here, but I think they say I love you just the same. You don’t even have to make frosting for these – just melted white chocolate. How easy is that?
And I love the taste of this sugar cookie dough. I add a tiny bit of almond extract with the vanilla extract, and then also some cream of tarter. It’s a great flavor combination – just like you’d get from a bakery.
I used to feel a little rebellious when it came to Valentine’s Day. I felt it was just a forced commercialized opportunity for fancy restaurants, flower shops and chocolatiers to make a little extra money and the rest of us feel either left out or let down. But my dad has given me a card on Valentine’s Day without fail every year since I was little girl, and he’s not a real sentimental guy, so I really treasure them.
I guess if you can sift through all the meaningless fluff, a holiday that sets aside a day to make sure the ones we love know how we feel, it’s not such a bad idea. So use it as an excuse to write your sweetie a love note, bring some flowers to a lonely neighbor, or bake your kiddos this special treat served with a kiss on the cheek. Might not seem like a big deal, but the years add up and these little gestures of thoughtfulness can speak volumes in the depths of the heart.
Sheesh, listen to me! Sorry to get all mushy on you. Well, one more thing – I love you!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed. Add egg, oil, and vanilla, and almond extract and mix well in between adding each ingredient until the batter is creamy and smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tarter.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet batter on low speed until dough is formed.
- Press the dough into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes. The top will be golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and pour the white chocolate chips evenly over the top. Return to the oven for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spread the melted white chocolate to make an even layer over the top of the cookie bars.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
- Allow the bars to cool so the white chocolate can set before cutting and serving.