Every once in a while, a recipe comes along that checks all the boxes for me. It’s made with easy ingredients, comes together in one big skillet, and so delicious my family keeps asking for seconds! This Creamy Cheesy Frito Chicken Skillet is just that! And that’s why I’ve been so excited to share it with you because I know these are the kind of recipes we make over and over again.
You’ll start with putting together a little blend of seasoning for the chicken – chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Then the chicken is browned on both sides in a big oven safe skillet in some butter and oil. In the meantime, the cream cheese, sour cream, corn, green chiles, green onions and pepper jack cheese are mixed together. Spread that creamy goodness over the chicken and the sprinkle on the crushed Fritos – my favorite part!
Pop the whole thing into the oven for about 20-25 minutes – the chicken finishes cooking through, and the cheese layer gets bubbly and melty. We love to serve the chicken over Spanish rice.
This is the kind of meal I love to have in my pocket for busy weeknights. You could pile on the toppings if you like – tomatoes, avocado, shredded lettuce or cilantro would all be a great option!
If you are wondering how spicy this dish is, I would say it is definitely on the mild side. My boys all tolerate some heat, but no one mentioned this being spicy at all. You could kick it up a notch depending on the type of green chiles you use.
I hope this recipe comes to the rescue for you on a busy night this coming week, and that you and your family enjoy it as much as we do!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Every once in a while, a recipe comes along that checks all the boxes for me. It’s made with easy ingredients, comes together in one big skillet, and so delicious my family keeps asking for seconds! This Creamy Cheesy Frito Chicken Skillet is just that!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 11 ounce can of sweet yellow corn, drained
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup crushed Fritos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and oil together in a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle on both sides of chicken. Place chicken into the pan and cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, mix cream cheese, sour cream, green chiles, corn, green onions and cheese together in a medium bowl.
- When chicken is browned on both sides, turn heat off. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chicken, and then sprinkle the crushed Fritos on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees. We love to serve it over Spanish rice.
This recipe is adapted from The Pinning Mama’s Green Chile Fiesta Chicken Bake
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 776
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 794mg
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Unsaturated Fat: 24g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 51g
- Cholesterol: 166mg