I’ve said it before and I’ll probably say it again – I have the best neighbors. My neighbor, Ruth, brought over some of these amazing Buttery Salted Caramel Bars this weekend. She’s a really great baker and she knows I love caramel (and butter) so she knew I’d love these and want to share them with all of you.
My neighbor found this recipe originally on Cookie and Cups and made a couple of adaptions to make them a little easier so that you don’t have to unwrap a bunch of caramel candies.
They are so easy you guys! You just make a really simple shortbread dough, press half into the bottom of the pan, and save the rest to crumble over the top. Now don’t be afraid if you’ve peeked at the recipe and noticed that it calls for a whole pound of butter. Yes, four sticks! This recipe makes a nice big pan, and you cut them into 48 little squares, which means that pound of butter goes a long way and you’ll have enough to share with your neighbor too.
For the caramel layer, she used a jar of caramel ice cream topping. Usually I don’t love this type of caramel because it’s a little runny and doesn’t have the consistency of a homemade caramel. Her trick is to add a few tablespoons of flour to it. Such a great shortcut! The flour helps thicken the caramel topping as it bakes and gives these bars more of the texture of a homemade caramel.
I tried adding a sprinkle of my favorite Maldon sea salt over the top of these and I also tried adding some sliced almonds to the caramel layer, and you know what – they are better left as is. Next time you have a little get together and want to bring something sweet and buttery that people will go crazy for, these Butter Salted Caramel Bars are your ticket!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Buttery Salted Caramel Bars taste so amazingly rich and delicious, you’d never guess how easy they are to make. This recipe makes a big batch so you’ll have plenty to share!
- 1 pound butter at room temperature (four sticks)
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Caramel Filling
- 12 ounces caramel flavored topping (I used Smuckers)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons course sea salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and prepare a 9 by 13 inch baking pan by greasing or lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed. Add vanilla and then turn speed down to low and slowly add in the flour until a soft dough forms.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, and then wrap the remaining half in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- In the meantime, mix the caramel topping, salt, and flour together until smooth. Remove the pan from the oven and pour the caramel over the top. Crumble the remaining dough into bits and sprinkle it over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven for an additional 25 minutes. Cool completely and then cut into small squares.
- Serving Size: 1 Square Bar
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: buttery salted caramel bars, caramel, dessert bars, easy