- 1 tablespoon oil or butter (or both)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews plus extra for garnishing
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas for garnish
- dried parsley for garnishing (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté onions in oil and butter until they are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn heat down to medium low, and add chicken or vegetable broth and pumpkin to the pot, and stir to combine. Add turmeric, basil, and cumin. Let come to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of the soup and 1/2 cup of cashews to a high powered blender. Be very careful to vent the top of the blender so that pressure can escape as it is blending! Blend the cashews and soup until smooth and creamy (about 30-45 seconds). If you want your soup to be very smooth in texture, you can blend the rest of the soup (in batches as needed). If you want a little bit of texture from the onion pieces, just add the creamy cashew mixture back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and season with additional kosher salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with pepitas, chopped cashews and parsley if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 1643mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg