Oh boy, you all are going to LOVE this Chocolate Zucchini Bread! Our little backyard garden continues to be productive with much coaxing and supervision, so while we loved Applesauce Zucchini Bread, we thought we’d try something new with our latest harvest of zucchini.
Although I don’t typically think of chocolate and zucchini as best friends, they do play very well in this recipe. The zucchini adds moisture and heft to the quick bread, and the chocolate, of course, makes it delicious!
What a wonderful world we live in friends… we can eat something so amazingly
And do let your kids, grandkids, or neighborhood riffraff help you make this Chocolate Zucchini Bread. You don’t even need to get out the mixer. It’s basically vegetable magic, and while a young child may worry and frown as all that grated zucchini is dumped into the bowl, they’ll be completely smitten at first bite.
In my food blogging world, some recipes come easy, while others make me work a little. Getting this recipe just right did take a little bit of recipe testing, tweaking, and re-making. My first batch baked up so beautifully but was disappointingly bland in flavor. Such a bummer!
On the next go, I omitted a few distracting ingredients, added more vanilla extract, a little brown sugar, and mini semisweet chocolate chips. What a difference!
I think the mini chocolate chips were just the right thing. Not only do they boost the chocolate flavor, but they also add little fudge-like flecks throughout the bread.
I’m glad I didn’t give up on this recipe even though the first run was quite lacking. It really is the perfect little sidekick to your morning latte, as well as a satisfying midnight snack alongside a cold glass of milk.
In case you
In no time at all, you can whip up a batch of this easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread, and even deliver a loaf or two to your favorite neighbor. Eat your veggies, friends!Print
- 1/2 cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coffee extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease four mini loaf pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and coffee extract until smooth and creamy.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add grated zucchini and chocolate chips and fold until evenly incorporated throughout the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the four loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out cleanly. Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out each loaf onto a cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, dust each loaf with powdered sugar if desired, and store in an airtight container.