Greetings friends! Hope this week is treating you well. Coming at you with this Spicy Chili Queso made with actual, genuine, real cheese and not the kind that comes in a box and sits on a shelf. I was so excited to try this after Lindsay from Pinch of Yum posted it. I made it for the Super Bowl and knew I had to share with you but almost forgot to. But I promise, this Chili Queso is anything but forgettable!
It starts with sausage, spices, black beans, corn and salsa. Then you make a creamy, cheesy white sauce. Mix the two together, and all the spicy goodness combines with the cheesy goodness and makes just about as much goodness as one girl can handle. Goodness!
There’s a little bit of debate as to whether this chili queso is indeed spicy. To me, it had just the right amount of heat to be called spicy, but to my husband not so much. He’s just tough like that you know! And by the way, this recipe makes a big batch. So it’s great for a crowd, and you can transfer it to a crockpot to keep it warm while everyone mingles. It also tastes great leftover and reheated – or as a topping for a big fluffy baked potato. YUM!Print
Homemade chili queso with black beans and corn, made with real monterey jack cheese.
- 2 pounds ground pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 ounce jar medium salsa
- 3 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce ) can corn
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 16 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large pan, brown the sausage on medium high heat until it is completely cooked. Turn heat to low. Drain excess oil.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, and water and mix.
- Add salsa, black beans and corn and mix. Keep heat on low while you make the cheese sauce in a separate pan.
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter over medium high heat. Sprinkle flour over the butter and whisk together. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, and turn heat down to medium. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until well combined.
- Pour cheese sauce into sausage mixture and stir.
- Keep the dip warm in the crockpot, or on a low flame on the stovetop.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum’s Homemade Cheesy Chili Dip
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 752mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
Keywords: chili queso, cheese, ground pork sausage, queso, dip