We have a little tradition among the ladies in my family to get together and bake Christmas cookies. Some of us like to bake, and some really just want to chat, and in the end it all works out because we have a freezer full of cookies to bring out on Christmas Day when we get together again.
I like to have a little something to keep up going as we bake, chat, and wash dishes, and this Wild Rice Quiche was perfect! I made it the day before, and then I warmed it up in the oven for 25 minutes on 300 degrees the morning of our baking day. I did make my own pie crust from scratch, but you could use a frozen pie crust if you are needing to keep things simple. This would make a lovely breakfast to linger over on Christmas morning.
This is a recipe my mom has been making for years, and it’s just so good! There’s the Canadian bacon (yum), and then the wild rice gives such a nice nuttiness and texture to the creamy, cheesy egg. And don’t even get me started on that buttery, flakey pie crust! Can you tell I’d really love for you to make this?
I feel like I’m starting to run out of time with Christmas just around the corner. So many good things to share with you this season. I find that food and recipes that have been passed down are such a comfort in this ever changing world, don’t you? Hope you able to get in the kitchen and create some memories with those you love. Be back soon!Print
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inch)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small skillet, sauté Canadian bacon and onion in butter until the onion is soft. Spoon into your crust.
- Sprinkle the cheese and wild rice evenly over the onions and Canadian bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, and salt. Pour over all the ingredients in the pie crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.