This Cheesy Ham and Potato Skillet is the perfect weeknight dinner. Everything comes together in one skillet, and it can be assembled ahead of time in the morning and baked in the afternoon. It is creamy, cheesy, comforting, and cozy! It would be great to bring to a new mom, or someone who wasn’t feeling well enough to cook for their family.
It was inspired by our last Easter dinner when we gathered around honey ham, cheesy potatoes, creamed corn, and rolls. I really love all those favorites together, and this skillet has it all! This recipe is very similar to a typical cheesy potato (or funeral potato) recipe with the addition of cubed ham and corn. But instead of using a canned soup, we make a simple homemade cream sauce with butter, flour, dried minced onion, milk, and chicken base. When we stir in the sharp cheddar, things get really good!
If you’ve never cooked with Better Than Bullion chicken base, you need to try it. It replaces chicken bullion or chicken broth in recipes. You can buy it in a big jar from Costco, and it is so convenient to have on hand. I find that it dissolves much easier than a typical cube of bullion, and it has a richer flavor as well. It’s so great for stews, soups, and crockpot recipes, but also to make homemade creamy sauces to replace cream of chicken soup in old favorites.
The frozen cubed hash browns make this recipe come together quickly. No chopping or peeling! If you still have leftover ham from Easter, it’s time to put it to good use. If not, I like to buy a good quality ham (not pre-sliced) and cube it myself.
Serve this delicious Cheesy Ham and Potato Skillet with a green salad and dinner is done! My boys really loved this meal. I hope your family will too!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?
Subscribe and I'll send all my recipes right to your inbox! You can also keep up to date by following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.Print
Cheesy Ham and Potato Skillet
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
This Cheesy Ham and Potato Skillet is the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s cheesy, creamy, cozy, and comforting!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 3 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons Better Than Bullion chicken base
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 32 ounces frozen cubed potatoes (hash browns)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a paste, and cook until bubbly, about three minutes.
- Whisk in dried minced onions, milk, and chicken base. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and cheese.
- Turn the heat off, and stir in ham, corn, and potatoes. Carefully stir the mixture together so that the sauce evenly covers the potatoes.
- Transfer the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the skillet is baking, mix the crushed Ritz crackers, melted butter, dried parsley, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Stir well to coat the crumbs in butter.
- Remove the skillet from the oven after 30 minutes, sprinkle the Ritz crumbs over the top evenly, and return the skillet to the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes. The top should be golden brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, and then serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 846
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 2221mg
- Fat: 57g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Unsaturated Fat: 28.4g
- Trans Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
Keywords: cheesy ham and potato skillet, cheese, ham, potatoes, potato skillet, cheesy potatoes
Leave a Reply