OH BOY, I hope you guys are ready for these! These Carmelitas are going to steal your heart and lock it away forever. And the best thing is they are super easy to make! They are basically caramel and chocolate sandwiched between two buttery oatmeal cookie layers…
But all you really need to know is that they are AMAZING!
I tasted these a few years ago at a ladies lunch at church a few years ago and kind of forgot about them until I saw them on Pinterest (from The Baker Upstairs, who got them from Lulu the Baker) and pretty much HAD to make them right away. Luckily, we had family coming over the next day for an early Mother’s Day celebration, so I had plenty of people to share them with.
What I LOVE about Carmelitas!
- You can make the oatmeal cookie layers in one bowl by hand.
- You can take a short cut and buy the bag of “caramel bits” instead of unwrapping caramels.
- You can make them a couple of days ahead, and they still taste soft, gooey, and delicious! You can even freeze them for later.
Maybe make these for your Mother’s Day gathering? They are definitely a crowd pleaser! Or send someone a gentle little note requesting that they make them for you?
Either way, they’ll make your day that much sweeter!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
Super easy to make and always a crowd pleaser! Soft, gooey and delicious!
- 32 caramel squares, unwrapped or 11 ounces caramel bits
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed (I used dark brown, but light is fine too)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 by 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper for easy removal later.
- Add the caramels and cream to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until completely smooth and then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of an 8 by 8 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel evenly over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned and the caramel is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow it cool for several hours before cutting, or chill in the fridge. At room temperature, they will be soft and gooey and absolutely delicious!
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
Keywords: carmelitas, carmelitas recipe, cookie bars, caramel, chocolate, easy