Last weekend, I hostessed a small baby shower for my sister. Her baby is due on Christmas Day, and I’m just dying to hold the little sweet pea! Love me some babies all wrinkled up and fresh from the womb.
One thing I knew I wanted to serve at the shower was apples. Since Honeycrisp apples are about as amazing as they come right now, I thought it would be fun to slice them up on a platter and drizzle them with caramel and sprinkle on some chopped salted peanuts. But I knew that I would not want to have very much prep work at the last minute, and that they would turn brown while they sat out at the shower. Now, I know that there’s really nothing wrong with a brown apple. It does taste exactly the same, just doesn’t look as pretty. So I did a little research and found this awesome little trick from the Yummy Life. It really works! And I’m way to excited about it!
Slice up your apples, and then soak them for five minutes in salt water. No browning. And your apples don’t taste salty. You only need 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 quart of water.
Not only is this a great trick for having sliced apples at parties and get togethers, but you can cut up a bunch of apples at once, soak them, and then put them in a plastic bag in the fridge for snacks and school lunches. I know you can buy pre-sliced apples, but not my beloved Honeycrisp!
I’ve also read that you can use lemon juice or lemon lime soda (anything with citric acid) but those are items I don’t usually keep on hand. Salt is one thing I’ve always got, so it’s super convenient.
Make sure you serve the caramel drizzled apples right away, because the caramel drizzle will sort of melt into the apples after a bit. Still tastes great, but doesn’t have the same look.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These caramel drizzled apple slices are easier than dipping whole apples. Plus, the secret to keeping your apples from turning brown without altering taste.
- 4 apples cored and sliced
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 soft caramel candies (I used Werthers)
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup chopped salted and roasted peanuts
- Fill a large bowl with 2 quarts of water. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt into it. Soak your apple slices for 5 minutes and then drain the water and place the apples in a ZipLoc bag, removing as much air as you can. You can keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days (or more!) without browning.
- When you are ready to serve, melt your caramels with 2 teaspoons of water in a microwave safe bowl for 20-30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over your apple slices (I used a plastic squeeze bottle) and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately.
Keywords: caramel apple slices, caramel apples, caramel, apples, keep apples from turning brown