- 1 pound butter at room temperature (four sticks)
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Caramel Filling
- 12 ounces caramel flavored topping (I used Smuckers)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons course sea salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and prepare a 9 by 13 inch baking pan by greasing or lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed. Add vanilla and then turn speed down to low and slowly add in the flour until a soft dough forms.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, and then wrap the remaining half in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- In the meantime, mix the caramel topping, salt, and flour together until smooth. Remove the pan from the oven and pour the caramel over the top. Crumble the remaining dough into bits and sprinkle it over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven for an additional 25 minutes. Cool completely and then cut into small squares.
- Serving Size: 1 Square Bar
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 20mg