What is it about rainy days that make me just want to drop everything and BAKE! The sun is out now, but we’ve had quite a run of COLD, WET days here. When I made these Brown Butter Almond Crinkle Cookies on a whim, I could hardly wait to share them with you! So here they are!
This recipe starts off with brown butter, which is just butter that has been cooked on the stovetop so that the nutty flavor of the milk solids browning amps up the flavor of the cookies. It gives them a richness like no other, and pairs really nicely with the almond flavoring. Here’s a great tutorial on how to brown butter.
Another trick that makes these cookies stand out is to roll them in granulated sugar before the powdered sugar. Sometimes the powdered sugar will seep into the dough, and the granulated sugar coating provides a little barrier, so the cookies don’t loose their cute little crinkles.
These cookies are so simple and perfect for a nice cup of coffee or tea on a cold dreary day. Make some and you’ll see what I mean!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #lovelylittlekitchen
Can't get enough?Print
These Brown Butter Almond Crinkle Cookies are sure to steal your heart with their soft, sweet texture and crinkled exterior.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose-flour**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, heat butter over medium high heat. Swirl butter as it melts. It will foam up, and then become light brown and fragrant after about 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn it, and immediately transfer to a separate bowl to cool.
- After the browned butter as cooled, add it to the bowl of an electric mixer with sugars and cream together on medium speed with the paddle attachment. Add eggs and extracts and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the dough on low speed, mixing until just incorporated.
- Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar, then powdered sugar. Place the dough balls on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, and then store in an airtight container.
**Be sure your flour isn’t “packed” into your measuring cup when you scoop it. Fluff it up before scooping to avoid adding too much flour, which would result in a dry cookie.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 87mg
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: brown butter almond crinkle cookies, brown butter, almond extract, crinkle cookies, cookies